The Wentworth Economic Development Corporation is a private, non-profit regional lender serving businesses of all sizes in the New Hampshire communities of Brookfield, Effingham, Farmington, Middleton, Milton, Moultonborough, New Durham, Sandwich, Tuftonboro, Wakefield, Wolfeboro, etc.
About the Area
Population and Labor Force
- The area’s population of 37,000 has increased by 10.6% in the last ten years, 1.7% more than the national average.
- The area boasts a strong employment situation with 80.8% of the labor force employed compared to 76.6% in the U.S. as a whole.
- The area’s per capita income of $31,697 is $3,782 higher than the national average.
- 91.4% of adults in WEDCO’s service area hold at least a high school diploma compared with an 85.4% national average.
- The area is close to many higher education institutions including The University of New Hampshire, Plymouth State University, Granite State College, and Southern New Hampshire University.
- The communities within the area are conveniently served by Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro as well as the nearby Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia and Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester.
Access to Affordable Housing
- In collaboration with WEDCO, the Eastern Lakes Region Housing Coalition has worked to increase the availability of workforce housing in the region.
- Partially as a result of these efforts, new workforce housing at Harriman Hill in Wolfeboro has recently been completed with additional construction planned. Read about these developments here.
- The area is conveniently close to Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in Manchester and Pease International Airport in Portsmouth in addition to Logan International Airport in Boston, MA.
Business Friendly Environment
- Forbes recently named New Hampshire the 7th most business friendly state in the country and best in the Northeast (Source).
- In addition, towns within the area including Wolfeboro and Farmington have launched Economic Revitalization Zones offering tax credits to businesses who locate within these regions.
Additional Demographics, Employment, Education, Income and Housing information:
Map Service Area